How do I make wood look distressed?
softwood & hardwood boards
- Step 1: Choose the Wood “
- Step 2: Rough Up the Wood “
- Step 3: Stab and Scour the Wood “
- Step 4: Scrub the Surface with a Wire Brush “
- Step 5: Sand Down the Sharp Edges “
- Step 6: Create a Vinegar Treatment “
- Step 7: Apply the Treatment to the Wood “
- Step 8: Apply a Coat of Light Paint “
Do I distress or wax first?
When you distress your furniture after you apply your initial coat of wax, you don’t want to wait a day or two to do so. You will have an easier time of it if you distress immediately after you paint and wax… before the paint has had a chance to thoroughly dry and begin its curing process.
How do you distress furniture with vinegar and chalk paint?
Fill a spray bottle with vinegar and a smaller portion of water. After you have painted and allowed the furniture to dry, spray on the vinegar solution. Use a rag (or something a bit more abrasive) to rub the furniture and to remove some of the paint.
Can you add vinegar to paint?
To help paint stick to metal surfaces, dampen a sponge with vinegar and rub it over the surface to be painted.
How do you paint white distressed wood?
These are the steps with a simple explanation as to how to distress wood painted furniture:
- lightly spray your flexible sandpaper with water.
- wrap your sandpaper around a sand block.
- dab dry to make sure your sandpaper is damp but not soaked.
- apply light pressure to sand away paint along edges.